Monday, October 24, 2011

I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer, has been overheating, losing coolant, recently the intake manifold leaking?

I have been going through alot with this truck, I changed the thermostat, the cap, flush the radiator. It would blow white smoke from the exhaust for a couple of weeks, so I thought it was the a cracked head gasket, then it stop, but still had to keep putting coolant in the radiator. It was working okay for a while now it started to leak from the top intake manifold, What could be the problem, the solution, and the cost?



Also when I the truck is going down a hill or incline the fuel gauge goes to empty and cuts off and I would have to let the truck coast until it gets to leveled ground and then the gauge goes back up and then I can start the truck again, unless I have over a half a tank of gas, and its gettin on my nerves, could you tell me how to fix that problem also...ThanksI have a 1996 Chevy Blazer, has been overheating, losing coolant, recently the intake manifold leaking?You have two separate problems



Engine: You keep losing water so you have either a cracked block or a blown head gasket (and if it has overheated maybe a warped head or two. Because of the leak on the intake manifold (which has no water in it), I think the head gasket has gone. Look for water in your oil (white froth) whcih is prob. a cracked block or a lot of steam from the engine exhaust (more likely a head gasket but it could also be a cracked block). Since you have to pull the heads to do the head gasket anyway you can check for warpage at that time.. but a cracked block will mean a new short block at the very least... sorry but either way it will be expensive.



Fuel: do you have an electric fuel pump? If so it sounds like you have a loose wire which is knocking out the pump and the gauge wiring when the car is pointed down hill . If it were not for the gauge going south on you I would say it is simply either dirt or something in the fuel that blocks the intake, or a bad fuel pump.. but that sender unit?? that's the puzzler.



Unless you have a trailer hitch, it is easy to drop the fuel tank on most chevy's... just get the fuel level low first (at $3.50 a gallon you prob. dont want to lose too much gasoline).



then you can open up the sender unit, and inspect the tank .. I like the idea that the baffles are bad, but at the same time I have never heard of that.



.I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer, has been overheating, losing coolant, recently the intake manifold leaking?Man my neighbor has the same issue's. Sounds like you need to buy a Ford . LoL na just kidding put ya a 350 in it call it done

Report Abuse

I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer, has been overheating, losing coolant, recently the intake manifold leaking?Your intake manifold gasket has probably been leaking coolant into your oil for some time now, so you probably need a new engine. The other problem requires you replace the fuel pump.



The best thing you could do for yourself is stay the hell away from pile of crap blazers and jimmys.I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer, has been overheating, losing coolant, recently the intake manifold leaking?i used to have a blazer. get yourself a new truck, honestly. I was spending upwards of 2000 dollars a month on constant repairs. It is a P.O.S. truck. It has more problems than this economy.*rim shot* Seriously though, get another truck. any truck.I have a 1996 Chevy Blazer, has been overheating, losing coolant, recently the intake manifold leaking?The baffles in your gas tank/sending unit are broke. letting all the fuel run forward. As for you motor it sounds like you need to tear apart that motor, the head could be warpedI have a 1996 Chevy Blazer, has been overheating, losing coolant, recently the intake manifold leaking?i am having the same problem right now with my blazer and the garage said its the intake gasket they said 500 to do it but anm going to do it my self i hope this helps uI have a 1996 Chevy Blazer, has been overheating, losing coolant, recently the intake manifold leaking?Sounds like you need to change the head gaskets,(check to see if warped), intake gaskets, and your fuel pump