Monday, September 19, 2011

Changing A Thermostat on a Dodge Dakota 1995?

1.

So I had a leak in my radiator. I put some additive in it to fix it. It mostly fixed the leakage, but it screwed up the thermostat.

Whenever I drive my truck the temperature goes up steadily. It gets to red, and stays there for about 30 seconds then it drops to cold. Then it goes up again and then down. It does this about three times before it evens out and stays in the middle where it is supposed to be.



Do I need a new thermostat? Because I think I do.



2.

If I do how hard is it to install it? Like I'm pretty much a mechanical dummy. I bought a Chilton Repair Manuel, and it looks simple enough but idk because I've never done it.



3.

Where do I buy one and what kind should I get?Changing A Thermostat on a Dodge Dakota 1995?1. You might need a thermostat, or you may also have a large air bubble in the cooling system that heats up, turns to steam, then cools again when it hits cold coolant. I would bleed the system before I replaced the thermostat. If it still does it afterwards, then replace it. Also, if the leak is only mostly fixed you need to fix the leak the correct way first, not a cheap bottle of stop leak as that is only a temporary fix.



2. It is easy to install. Find upper radiator hose and where it goes in intake manifold. Remove the two/three bolts and pop off the housing. Remove the thermostat and replace it. Screw the few bolts back in and torque with new gasket in place. Refill the cooling system and bleed properly to avoid teh air buble described in above.



3. You buy a thermostat at any parts stores, Autozone, Napa, Car-quest, ADvance, Oreillys, etc. The kind you should get is the one that fits your truck.





If you dont feel you are qualified or have the tools dont attempt it as you may do more damage. Most shops will replace a thermostat for very cheap.Changing A Thermostat on a Dodge Dakota 1995?Go to your nearest parts store and they will have the one u need for your certain truck. But it might be the ho2 sensor. So the best thang to do would be have a problem shooting diagnosis ran on it. But if your determined to change out the thermostat, go to the top of the radiator and find big hose that leads into your engine. Undo the hose (yes, fluid will spill out) and take off the thermostat housing(its a domeshaped thing with two bolts on the sides) take off that housing, pull out the thermostat, and replace it with the new one, then work backwards till everything is back together.Changing A Thermostat on a Dodge Dakota 1995?it could be your thermostat but it could also be your temperture sending unit. if you never changed one before it could take you a couple of hours. any parts store unless you want to pay awhole lot extra then you go to the dealer.